CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 20, 2009

ROCKSTAR?

So from when my existence started I have wanted to be a rockstar. From making up the worst songs to full dance routines to lip singing to Ben E. Kings "Stand by Me" while my babysitter worked the light switch. I have felt it was in my blood to have something out of the ordinary happen, and lately I find myself wondering if and when it will? Or am I just being ridiculous? Or do I not have enough faith in myself or in the possibilities?
I think when your career is something in the arts; especially in music or visual art----you are the motivator---you are driving force----the manager----the inspiration etc etc. I tend to always feel I am not doing enough and I quickly fall into the comparison game of who is touring more than I am, who writes better than I do, who just got signed and is opening for (insert name here for your favorite artist). When in truth I really don't want my whole life to be on the road, and actually I really love being a mom and seeing my husband. And yet in my heart of hearts I know that I will always be doing music. I still hope for the phone call from patty griffin telling me that she would just LOVE me to come open her fall tour. I will let you all know when that happens. Meanwhile I am moving slowly in the direction I want, and the slow pace is actually going well.
I just returned from a few shows on the East Coast, my first time to play in Boston, East Hampton, and Portland. I was opening every show up for my good friend Edie Carey. http://www.ediecarey.com She is really fantastic and even was kind enough to come out on the stage before each show and announce me. Pretty amazing. I got to play the legendary Club Passim which was so cool and the North Star Cafe which was started by a friend of mine Anna Maria.
When I found out I was prego, I had a few moments that I started stressing about what it would mean for my career in music. I was told these two things by two different people, they still make me smile.
#1 Whatever blesses your life blesses your art (the woman who said this is an amazing oil painter living in Taos)

#2 Who knows, maybe your detour will actually be a shortcut to where you want to end up.

June is the best detour that I have ever made and I still tour one long weekend a month. And I just got this new hairstyle that I think lends itself easily to being a Rock Star.

6 comments:

The Airharts said...

Your a rocksatr in my house-I think there isnt a day that goes by that we dont listen to your cd-my Hadley even knows the words! We love ya Sarah!

Caitlin said...

mmmm... that is good wisdom! I love that, and I think it is true. Sometimes art just seems to be the product of experience, and I think this will be one more amazing and self-expanding experience. Good luck lady, you're doing awesome!

Belkycita said...

I think you do what you do very WELL!
Both my girls and I enjoy your music very much. They request it in the car on our way to Preschool. Ok just Elena the little one doesn't talk.
I think that at those times in life is when the best music comes out, right when your heart and soul are pondering about the world.

Ann Marie said...

I LOVE Club Passim!!! I've been there a few times. I had no idea you played there. So cool.

You are the prettiest, most talented, most genuine rockstar I know. I love these wise yogi words, "practice, and all is coming."

emmy said...

Love the new hairdo. Love the little miss June. And I love that someone else out there thinks the crazy thoughts I do... not about music... but in relation to being a designer. Keep up the rockstar good work. We are still letting your latest EP ring out over the house. I love it!

Mum said...

You are THE rock star in our books. We miss both the star girls. Wish we could see all of you more. Witholding comments on the hair do. You're great. Mum McD