
to my dear mothers: i need your help. Bottle VS. Sippy Cup VS. Timing Vs. Method Story: Went in for Juniper's one year check up. Doctor mentioned that it is time to switch from bottle to sippy cup (I knew this day would come). She said phrases like "within the next few months" and "when you are ready" and "cold turkey." I know some mothers are so ready to be done nursing/pumping etc they are really happy for this day. BUT! I am not. June eats solids and what I am eating, but she still drinks about 4 6ounce bottles throughout the day, and she loves it. The doc said the best way is to just take the bottle away and within two days they are over it. I feel like I need new toddler food ideas that are easy and fast. Also, I am going out of town for a week at the end of May in a month, should I do this before or after?
So, here are my questions for you mothers (and fathers):
1. how old was your baby when you transitioned to sippy cup land? And when was your baby done with bottle?
2. Was this gradual or "cold turkey"?
3. Any new toddler food ideas? Fast? Easy? tricks? thank you brave ones. xo
1. how old was your baby when you transitioned to sippy cup land? And when was your baby done with bottle?
2. Was this gradual or "cold turkey"?
3. Any new toddler food ideas? Fast? Easy? tricks? thank you brave ones. xo

6 comments:
Hey Woman, sigh....ahh yes the transition to sippy cup. If it helps at all, which it might not, because each child seems to react so differently...I will give you my experience. I didn't take away the bottle from Ryan until he was about 18 months. However he did look funny drinking from a baby bottle because he was such a big kid to begin with. But I didn't feel like it was too old. I also just did a straight switch or 'cold turkey' and started giving him milk in a sippy cup 3 times a day, morning noon and night so that he didn't feel deprived of his milk. She may like the idea of a sippy more than you think too. Ryan really liked the ones with the straws and it made it easier for him. I'd give him those during the day and give him one he can hold like a bottle at night and nap. I guess ryan didn't really care either way....he just wanted his milk any way, shape or form. Good luck sista
I took Hadley's bottles away on her Birthday-I packed them away where I couldnt give in a get them if I was having a bad moment-and guess what -I think she didnt even notice. It really was that easy! All kids are different-but I think really what ever you want to happen will happen-your the parent..it you can stick with it then it will be over and done with. My browen is 10 months now and I have started giving him sippy cups when we leave the house for walks or trips to the store and he does great with them-it took himabout a day to figure it out. Also -When Hadley switched off of bottles to milk-she hated milk. I couldnt do anything to get her to drink it...not kidding she would throw up-I was so worried and asked the dr if it was a problem-and he told me that it looked like she was healthy a doing great-so not to worry about it-she turned out just fine without drinking alot of milk-point of the story is-if you tkae the bottle away and the sippy cups are hard at first-dont worry if she dostn get in her "daily dose" of milk. I also think getting rid of the bottle is also meaning to get rid of bad habits like giving your kid a drink to fall asleep to-that is the hard part-not good for those teeth. Good luck!
Yucks, transitions!
Here is what I did.
Took Elena to the store and gave her a choice of new cups. She picked her favorite and never looked back. The "how to use it" was harder I had to take the little spill proof out for a little bit to show her that there was milk in it. Then when she figured it out I had to keep the cup full because she didn't get the "tipping" right away. After all that was sorter we were happily ever after! until otty training.
As for Victoria, the real milk lover, I did the same but she cared less to pick one so I picked one of those Avent ones with little handles and soft spout. I knew she liked the bottles for being soft, and I had her tried big sister's and she didn't like it.
She loved the knew one and figured it faster than Elena. The truth is she drinks a lot more milk than her Dr wants her to, but I'm ok with that as long as she eats her food first. As for bed time, I never gave her a bottle to lay down with so we didn't have that problem but she did decided to start using a pacifier.
I hope it goes smooth.
My 2 oldest were exclusively breast-fed and never took a bottle, transition was easy. My 2 youngest still have their bottles. Let me know when you figure it out.
I think the answer all lies with June. Some kids are easy transitioners and some aren't! Just test the waters and don't worry if "cold turkey" doesn't work! They all have their own minds and timelines and we can only just guide them along. That being said, my kids never used bottles or pacifiers so we went straight to sippy cups. It took awhile for them to "get" the sucking action. They are a pain to clean out but awesome for when we go out. I seem to recall "Avent" was a good brand but any spill-proof ones. Just let her try it out with water and make it seem like a big deal and VERY exciting and she'll want to use it! And to answer your last question, our favorite toddler food is simply whatever we're eating but in much smaller form. Our third child we weren't as adventurous in what we offered him and he is now VERY picky...as compared with our oldest who ate everything we did and she now loves curry, peppers, all kinds of salads and soup, etc. My best advice is to actually not worry too much about others' advice, even what doctors say your daughter should be doing! Just go with your own instinct!
I'll try to cover them all. Annie was a year, we did it cold turkey and it worked within a couple of days. It went so much better than I imagined it would. As far as foods. We love avacados here, egg sandwiches, grilled cheese, yogurt with cereal... I agree with the comment below. There really shouldn't be kid foods, a friend once told me. Reason being, we want her to get used to eating healthy things and experience new tastes. We try to give her what we're eating or present it in a different way so it's easier to eat it. By the way Annie loves, her leafy greens and veggies. And yes she even likes hummus.
Post a Comment