I've been thinking about the blogging world lately. You have your typical bloggers who post cute pics of the kiddies over and over. You have your politcal/social issue bloggers. You have your career bloggers; those who have a large following of people they have never met but are drawn back again and again for another fix.
What is it that makes us want to open up our personal lives for anyone to look at? What makes us want to check our blog a few times a day to see if anyone has left a comment?
I think it all comes down to wanting to be witnessed.
We hear the term "witness" in many contexts; from the courtroom to the religious pulpit. But I think in our heart of hearts, everyone just wants to be witnessed. When I have a conversation with someone, I can feel when they are really there with me. You know, really listening, hearing what I think about and showing me by their attention that they don't want to be anywhere else. Their eyes never wander over my shoulder to see what else is going on, or who would be cooler to talk to....
I crave these interactions. And I want to be someone who is a witness for the goodness in other people. I want people to know when they meet me that I am hearing their words, seeing their eyes, and I am present in our interactions.
I am guilty far more of having distracted interactions, especially since the juniper came on the radar. But here is my commitment for the week; I will be a witness of the people around me and the good they give to the world by simply existing. Sometimes I forget that my value as a person was established before I was ever born. I am going to be a witness of others around me not because they are oh-so-hip, but because everyone deserves to be seen.
who is with me? For the next week, I will blog about who I have witnessed.
(and if anyone wants to try this with me, I would love you to tell me about how it goes)
A few great people I have witnessed in the last few days:
My mom: she has been taking care of juniper during the day while I go work on a recording project. She never complains. She was actually sad tonight that she had to go to a wedding reception because she would miss june's bath time. If you want to learn how to love, spend a little time with my mom.
(photo by Scott Wiley)
Ryan Tanner: Ryan is a cool dude that is part of this recording project I am doing. He is an incredible singer-songwriter, has a kickin band called Atherton, and he has recently started playing music with me when I am in town. I learned today that he was a Photography major at the U of U. Which explains maybe the beginnings that led to this incredible work. He also is the person I want to be next to in a room full of musicians, not only because I get to hear the awesome music he makes, but because he truly supports and encourages everyone around him without fail. Also...his kids are named Jack and Cash. Just too good.

(Photo by Scott Wiley)

4 comments:
This is a really profound thought, Sarah. Thanks for sharing and inspiring us to all do the same. I'd meant to tell you how impressed I am with your track on "Nearer." I read about it on Mindy Gledhill's blog and clicked through to hear the tracks and was so excited to see you on there!!!
Sarah, did you know you can set your blog so you get an email when people leave comments?
If you do happen to check and see this today and can come to Ogden tonight, give me a call (801-388-9855). There is a big Halloween party with lots of fun things and great people to "witness". Fred and Audrey are coming too.
love this, sarah! of course you would think of this! i'm totally in.
Sarah, I'm guilty, very guilty of distracted interactions, and on so many levels. Our children deserve to be "witnessed" too, and some days they get my distracted attention too much. I'm committed to being all there. I've been there...when you are talking to someone and you know they are just waiting for you to be finished, only half listening and their eyes are all over the place. And on the flip side...it is the best when someone is completely there for you. I'll email you a cool quote about this.
Thanks for your post.
audrey
Post a Comment