CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

GRACE

songwriting is not easy for me.

I've had people assume that because I am a musician
that songwriting must be a breeze. wrong.

songwriting is not always fun for me.
sure there are moments where the
inspiration hits and a song is born in one sitting.
But often I don't "feel" like writing.
But "writers write" as Peter Himmelman says
and it is about showing up for your art.

I've had to be disciplined about making time.
anyone who has a toddler knows that
free time is not in abundance.
adding june to my life has been a gift.
and in a funny way, I have become
More Focused
More Disciplined

because time is an issue.

And I feel like God is helping me.
Every day that I choose to show up to write songs
I feel like God shows up too.
And not in a lightning bolt kind of way.
More like, I know that my heart has been
drawn to music before I ever came to this earth.
I take it seriously, because I believe this is part
of my Life Purpose. And of course God is going to help me
Create.
He is really good at that.
Sometimes I just sit and nothing happens
Sometimes I swear I will never attempt another song again.
But when I give time to the art that I
feel drawn to...
GRACE
steps in every now and then
and I think I get
better little by little.

(does anyone feel the same way about what they are drawn too?)

Here are some songwriters that I think Grace has stepped in for a few times: Patty Griffin, Emmylou Harris, Dylan, Josh Ritter, Darrell Scott, Gillian Welch, The Beatles, Deb Talan, Shawn Colvin... I'll tell you more later.


If you want to be inspired. Watch this speech on Creativity by Elizabeth Gilbert, author of "Eat, Pray, Love"


xo
s








3 comments:

Kate said...

she's very interesting. keep showing up sarah! love you. kate

Ann Marie said...

love this post sarah! was just talking today earlier to mo about how your little june has made you more focused and disciplined...perhaps we all need to have babies?
anyway, thanks for this post! so inspiring!

Belkycita said...

Well said!
Sometimes we need the challenge to be able to excel in our duties.
I can't wait to hear the great music that comes out of your soul!